Friday 22 May 2009

Deploying Office 2007 Addin with VS 2008

Following on from my post last year about deploying from VS 2005, I have since upgraded the product to VS2008 (nicer development environment for Office addins for a start!). Unfortunately, the installation project I created for VS 2005 does not seem to be working after it's been converted to 2008. As per usual, the error reported from Excel 2007 is best described as minimal, so I have decided to start this all again from scratch.

The MSDN pages have been updated for .NET 3.5 and can be found here.

I am currently working my way through this. First stop is that I have had to recreate the addin project itself from scratch, as this did not convert at all. I am also changing the name of the assembly, just in case some weird caspol issue is getting in the way.

Next stop is creating a new installation routine.

Following the instructions in the MSDN link above produced a perfectly working installation.

NOTE
There are considerable changes between the VS2005 and VS2008 installation projects for Office addins, guess I should have known! (it's not any easier though).

No comments: